W E L C O M E
to the Rodmell village community website
Our website aims to be a source of information for all areas of life in the village of Rodmell and neighbouring hamlet of Northease. It is for everyone who lives here, and for all ages and interests.
Residents and businesses in the parish are invited to send in any items they'd like included on the village website - click on FIND OUT MORE >>>
For more about our website, and how to get your information put onto it, click on the RIGHT >>>
Find what you're looking for in Rodmell & Northease by choosing from the Headings on the LEFT <<<
Please remember that all information on this website is provided in good faith, and the administrators cannot be held responsible for any inaccuracies.
Scroll down this page to see local village news, and what's on in Rodmell this month.
NEWS! ... News! ... NEWS! ... News!
Bimble Bandada Festival: 1-3 August
The music festival, Bimble Bandada, will be taking place at South Farm from Friday 1 - Sunday 3 August. These festivals are always well attended with lots of music, and the Bimble Crew are aware that not everyone appreciates the noise! They've posted letters through residents' doors giving phone numbers to call if there is a problem with noise, as follows: mobile 07468 323683, on-site team 930074. If you'd like to go & enjoy the event, residents can get a discount by taking the letter from Bimble plus proof of your address.
Rodmell Summer Show - Saturday 16 August
A date for your diary: our Rodmell Summer Show will be on Saturday 16 August this year, on the Sports Field - please note that this is the correct date for our Summer Show, not the date printed in this month's Parish Magazine!
A full programme of events and the show schedule will be published in advance and delivered to all households in the village. Everyone is very welcome - come and have a great afternoon, as well as entering some of your own fruit, veges, and crafts into our great produce show in the marquee.
Classic Cars at Rodmell Summer Show
Martin Burnaby- Davies writes: For the fourth year running, there will be a display of interesting cars at the Summer Show on Saturday 16 July, being historic and/or classic in nature. Some will definitely be in the 'my Dad used to have one of these' category, others may be less well known. So far, each year we have increased the number of vehicles slightly from the year before.
The general public are invited to spend a few minutes participating in judging the cars in several light-hearted classes, where some prizes will be awarded according to the number of votes cast. This will be based entirely on general appearance and not technical or 'concours' guidelines, and is just for fun.
Love your Bus - campaign against ESCC cuts
NOTE: Rodmell Parish Council discussed this issue at their meeting on 7 July (see Minutes for the meeting) and will make a response to ESCC about their proposals.
If East Sussex Council have their way, the fares on many local bus services will increase by up to 30% in April 2015 and the frequency of services will be slashed. Some buses will only run every two hours - including our 123 bus running along the C7, other buses will only run 2 days a week.
Phone East Sussex County Council on 0345 60 80 194 FREE, to find out exactly how your bus service & fares will be affected. Ask them for the consultation document now, as there is a time limit for making your views heard.
You can find out more and make your views known by visiting: www.travelloglewes.co.uk
The "Love your bus" campaign is co-ordinated by Lewes Stop the Cuts. Contact us via email@example.com
Rodmell’s Produce & Crafts Stall
We will trade every Friday during the summer from 11am-4pm. This is a co-operative stall for any resident to use. We welcome all produce grown and craft items made in Rodmell to sell to passersby. If you have produce you can spare but are not interested in selling, then this is a way of "giving" to our village.
Last year we were able to give £80.00 to the Rodmell Parish Council, representing 10% of sales.
To find out more, please contact Carolyn Orchard.
Rodmell Bridge Club joins with Kingston
9 June 2014:
Rodmell Bridge Club has now transferred to Kingston. The new Bridge Club is to be called The Rubber Bridge Club and meetings will be held in the Kingston Pavilion every Wednesday from 7.30-9.30pm. It is a relaxed evening and there is no need to bring a partner.
Cost £1 per person per evening to cover costs and make a small donation to the Pavilion.
Phone Michael and Christine Isitt for more information - all welcome.
The Egrets Way Rodmell to Southease section
7 June 2014: The Egrets Way Rodmell to Southease section of the Ouse Valley Cycle Network is now officially open and you can walk / cycle along the riverbank.
Rodmell Camera Club - the future?
3 June 2014: It has been decided that, due to a general lack of interest, the Rodmell Camera Club will be suspended until such time as any current or potential members express an interest in getting together for a meeting or an excursion.
A big 'Thank you' to Bob Foster for his hard work, enthusiasm and efforts with our Camera Club, including organising our meetings, and various photography excursions and talks.
Changes to buses serving Rodmell during Spring & Summer 2014
Bus and Community Transport operators in our part of Sussex are making changes to a number of bus routes for Spring & Summer 2014.
Changes to buses serving Rodmell will be:
A new seasonal Sunday & Bank Holiday bus Service 123: Lewes–Kingston–Iford–Rodmell–Piddinghoe–Newhaven. This will be a two-hourly service from 18 April-7 September, operated by Compass Travel.
Brighton & Hove Community Transport service 130 (running between Rodmell and Brighton) will be improved on Fridays from 4 April-24 October. A new return journey on Fridays will depart from Brighton Old Steine at 10.30am that additionally serves Monk’s House in Rodmell. This bus will return from Monk’s House to Brighton at 4.50pm.
Monk's House car park - update
The long awaited extension to the Monk's House car park is now complete. The original car park has been tidied up to create more spaces here. The new parking area will be reserved and cordoned off for National Trust visitors only. Please park carefully in the marked spaces as this helps to increase the number of cars that can use the car park. Please also take any rubbish home with you as there isn't a bin in the car park.
Problem dogs on The Drove
Rodmell Parish Council continues to try to find a solution to this problem (see Minutes of Parish Council Meetings Groups & Activities).
Please could everyone who experiences any problems going past the smallholding - such as feeling intimidated or having their dog attacked - inform the Clerk to the Parish Council (see Groups & Activities for contact details), so that she can keep a record. This will help with future resolutions of this problem.
Rodmell Parish Council: Minutes of previous meetings
The dates of RPC meetings, plus Minutes & Agendas, can be seen in Groups & Activities
WHAT'S ON this month in RODMELL ?
PLEASE NOTE: due to computer problems, the list below has not been updated for August yet. All information for events during August is given in full in the Diary & Events section of this website.
Services in St Peter's Church, Rodmell
For details of all the church services in St Peter's this month, see About Rodmell and in the Parish Magazine (copies available in Church).
Village Hall bookings
For information about booking Rodmell village hall, and to see the list of bookings made for this month, see Diary & Events
Abergavenny Arms pub
Our local pub is now run by Lucie and Jon, and they welcome everyone to our village pub for their exciting programme of great food, special offers, live music, and lots of activities - see About Rodmell for details.
To book a table, phone 01273 472 416, or see About Rodmell and www.abergavennyarms.com
Monk's House & garden
Monk’s House and garden are now open to visitors in the afternoons from Wednesday to Sunday, including Bank Holiday Mondays, until 26 October 2014. This year there is an extensive programme of events at Monk's House which can be viewed in the Diary & Events section of this website.
To find out more about meetings for the following groups, please contact the organisers for each:
- Rodmell Sewing Group
Tuesday 1 July
- Parent & Toddler Group meets in the Village Hall, 9.30am-11.30am, each Tuesday morning during term-time. See Diary & Events for details.
Wednesday 2 July
- The Rubber Bridge Club meets every Wednesday evening, 7.30pm–9.30pm, in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere in Kingston Pavilion - All welcome. NOTE: from 4th June, Rodmell Bridge Club amalgamated with Kingston’s bridge club and will now meet at Kingston Pavilion. See Diary & Events for details.
Thursday 3 July
- 1st Rodmell & Northease Cubs/Scouts meet every Thursday evening during term-time: 6.30pm at the Village Hall. See Diary & Events for details.
Friday 4 July
- Rodmell Craft & Produce Stall 11am-4pm each Friday during the summer, on the corner by the notice board & letterbox, opposite the Village Hall. See Diary & Events for details.
- Expensive Mistakes 2 – Fabulous Fashion Fundraiser at Southease Place, Southease, 10am-3pm. See Diary & Events for details.
- Monk's House event - Summer Lecture: Virginia Woolf as a Cubist Writer 7.30pm. Booking Essential - see Diary & Events for details.
Saturday 5 July
- Expensive Mistakes 2 – Fabulous Fashion Fundraiser at Southease Place, Southease, 10am-2pm. See Diary & Events for details.
Monday 7 July
- Rodmell Parish Council meeting 8pm in the village hall – all welcome. See Diary & Events for the Agenda.
Wednesday 9 July
- Monk's House event - Botanical Vegetable Painting 10.00am. Booking essential - see Diary & Events for details.
Friday 11 July
- Northease Manor School end of summer term. Autumn term begins on Monday 8 September 2014.
Saturday 12 July
- Readings in the Garden - Monk's House event at 2pm, 3pm and 4pm. Free events (normal admission charges to Monk's House & Garden apply) - see Diary & Events for details.
Sunday 13 July
- Rodmell Cricket Club fixture against Pathfinder, 2.30pm start on the Sports Field. See Diary & Events for details of all RCC fixtures this summer.
Tuesday 15 July
- Rodmell & Southease WI Members’ Meeting 7.30pm in the Village Hall. See Diary & Events for details.
Friday 18 July
- Garden Tours at Monk's House - Monk's House event starting at 3pm. Free event (normal admission charges to Monk's House & Garden apply) - see Diary & Events for details.
- Monk's House event – Summer Lecture: Virginia in Sussex 7.30pm in the Village Hall. Booking essential - see Diary & Events for details.
Sunday 20 July
- Rodmell Cricket Club fixture against East Dean, 2.30pm start on the Sports Field. See Diary & Events for details of all RCC fixtures this summer.
Tuesday 22 July
- Rodmell Cricket Club fixture T20 v Harvey's Brewery, 6.00pm start on the Sports Field (NB: 6pm start). See Diary & Events for details of all RCC fixtures this summer.
Wednesday 23 July
- Rodmell Coffee Club 11.00am-12.30pm, in the Village Hall - all welcome!
- Rodmell CofE School school term ends. First day of Term 1 will be on Thursday 4 September 2014.
Monday 28 July
- Book Group meets 8pm in the Abergavenny Arms - see Diary & Events for details.
See Diary & Events for more about all these events, and also for those happening in the months to come.
Do you have a news story?
If so, please contact us and let us know what you would like to see displayed on this page.