W E L C O M E
to the Rodmell village community website
Our website aims to be a source of information for all areas of life in the village of Rodmell and neighbouring hamlet of Northease. It is for everyone who lives here, and for all ages and interests.
Residents and businesses in the parish are invited to send in any items they'd like included on the village website - click on FIND OUT MORE >>>
For more about our website, and how to get your information put onto it, click on the RIGHT >>>
Find what you're looking for in Rodmell & Northease by choosing from the Headings on the LEFT <<<
Please remember that all information on this website is provided in good faith, and the administrators cannot be held responsible for any inaccuracies.
Scroll down this page to see local village news, and what's on in Rodmell this month.
NEWS! ... News! ... NEWS! ... News!
Rodmell's Produce & Craft Stall
Do you have any locally produced food or crafts that you'd like to sell on our new Produce & Craft Stall? Find out more in Diary & Events - the first day of trading will be on Wednesday 5 June.
Caretaker Position at Rodmell School
Rodmell CofE School is looking for a new Caretaker as their current one will be retiring at the end of the summer term. The advertisement for this position is displayed on our Notice Board or apply at the School reception. The closing date for applications is 10.00am Friday 14 June 2013.
Newhaven Waterpark - project withdrawn
1 May 2103: A Press Release has just been issued by Kuwaiti European Holdings Company, the developers for the proposed Newhaven Waterpark, stating that their plans for an enormous waterpark on the C7 road approaching Newhaven have been withdrawn. To read the full Press Release, please see Notice Board.
Rodmell Scottish Country Dancing
10 April, Michael Isitt writes:
Sadly this club, which has been in existence for the past 17½ years, has had to close due to increasing age of members and associated aches and pains (not caused by the dancing!). It has been a long and happy experience and perhaps some younger Rodmellians might like to revive it at some time in the future. If so, I shall be happy to pass on to them free of charge whatever tapes/CDís and other equipment they may require.
Minutes for 2013 Annual Parish Assembly Meeting
The Minutes from our recent Annual Parish Assembly Meeting are now available to read - see: Groups & Activities.
C7 Traffic Calming, & request for donations
To see the recent letter from RPC to all Rodmell residents, updating us on the proposed traffic calming measures for the C7 road, with an appeal for donations towards the costs of implementing these improvements, please see: Groups & Activities.
Sainsbury Active Kids vouchers 2013
Rodmell School is collecting Sainsbury vouchers again this year. There is a box available for your vouchers in the school's front office. If possible, could you please collect the vouchers and tie with a rubber band with the total number written on it - this makes the task of counting the vouchers much easier! Thank you, as always, for your continued support of our local school.
Go E-Sussex campaign - please register to demonstrate Rodmell's need for superfast broadband
This item was also mentioned at our recent Parish Assembly meeting, held on 19 April 2013.
27 Nov 2012: Our Rodmell Broadband expert, Jude Le Patourel, writes:
You may recall that last year Rodmell Parish Council (RPC) conducted a survey into Broadband use in Rodmell and Northease. This survey demonstrated the huge frustration with our existing service, and proved very helpful in discussions with East Sussex County Council (ESCC) about options for improving it.
ESCC will shortly start the process of selecting a provider to deliver superfast broadband across the county. ESCC has earmarked funds to help secure better services for the poorest served areas (thatís us!) and has committed to prioritising these areas. To help in its discussions with providers, ESCC is now asking people to register with the Go E-Sussex campaign to demonstrate demand for superfast broadband.
Please follow the Go E-Sussex link to register Ė there is no commitment involved but the evidence generated is likely to help ESCC build the case for getting a workable service to Rodmell at last. And we know it can be done Ė Northease School has now paid for a fibre optic link delivering lightning fast broadband. We need to persuade ESCC to adopt similar infrastructure for the parish of Rodmell!
As ever, if you have any queries, please contact:
Jude Le Patourel (Justin.LePatourel@ofcom.org.uk) or
Paul Denerley (473844 / firstname.lastname@example.org).
Problem dogs on The Drove
October 2012: There has been another recent attack by the dogs from the smallholding on The Drove - please be sure to report any incidents as mentioned below.
Please could anyone who experiences any problems going past the smallholding - such as feeling intimidated or having their dog attacked - inform the Clerk to the Parish Council (see Groups & Activities for contact details), so that she can keep a record. This will help with future resolutions of this problem.
Rodmell Parish Council continues to try to find a solution to this problem (see Minutes of Parish Council Meetings Groups & Activities).
Rodmell Parish Council: Minutes of previous meetings
The dates of RPC meetings, plus Minutes & Agendas, can be seen in Groups & Activities
WHAT'S ON this month in RODMELL ?
Services in St Peter's Church, Rodmell
For details of all the church services in St Peter's this month, see About Rodmell and in the Parish Magazine (copies available in Church).
Village Hall bookings
For information about booking Rodmell village hall, and to see the list of bookings made for this month, see Diary & Events
Abergavenny Arms pub
Our local pub is now run by Lucie and Jon, and they welcome everyone to our village pub for their exciting programme of great food, special offers, live music, and lots of activities - see About Rodmell for details.
To book a table, phone 01273 472 416, or see About Rodmell and www.abergavennyarms.com
Monk's House & garden are open for the Summer season - with a new programe of events
Monkís House will be open from 29 March to 27 October 2013. The opening hours this year are Wednesdays to Sundays, including Bank Holidays, with the garden opening at 12.30pm and the House at 1pm. Last entry at 5pm, closing at 5.30pm. See Diary & Events for details.
New for 2013: Enjoy a wide range of workshops, events, visits and talks inspired by Monkís House and its garden. Tickets are needed for most events - please see the National Trustís website for more details: www.nationaltrust.org.uk/monkshouse and Diary & Events
Wednesday 1 May
- Patchwork & Sewing Group meets each fortnight on Wednesdays mornings, 10am at Drummond House - for both experienced and those new to sewing/patchwork. Come along and join in - see Diary & Events for details.
- Rodmell Bridge Club meets every Wednesday at 7.30pm-9.30pm in the Village Hall. See Diary & Events for details.
Thursday 2 May
- ESCC Elections polling station in Rodmell Village Hall, 7am-10pm.
Friday 3 May
- Vicky Mappin's Botanical Painting Classes in Rodmell Village Hall on Thursday & Friday mornings each week during term-time, see Diary & Events for details.
Monday 6 May
- Sussex Spring Sing in the Abergavenny Arms, starting 3pm, with food all day.
Tuesday 7 May
- Parent & Toddler Group meet each Tuesday morning during term-time in Rodmell Village Hall, 9.30-11.30am. Come and join the fun - see Diary & Events for details.
- Northease Manor School term starts.
Wednesday 8 May
- Create a Writer's Notebook 10am-5pm in Rodmell Village Hall - one of the new events organised by Monk's House. Tickets & details from Monk's House - see Diary & Events for details.
Sunday 12 May
- Rodmell Cricket Club - first match of the season against Angmering CC: 2.30pm start on the Sports Field, all welcome. See Diary & Events for details & full list of this season's fixtures.
Monday 13 May
- Rodmell Parish Council Meeting 8pm in the Village Hall - an agenda will be published in advance of this meeting. See Diary & Events for details.
Tuesday 14 May
- Willie Edmonds' Book Launch for Rodmell friends & neighbours - See Diary & Events for details.
Wednesday 15 May
- PLEASE NOTE: this Patchwork & Sewing Group meeting has been cancelled - the next meeting date will be published as soon as it's been confirmed. The group usually meets each fortnight on Wednesdays mornings, 10am at Drummond House - for both experienced and those new to sewing/patchwork. Come along and join in - see Diary & Events for details.
- 1st Rodmell & Northease Cubs & Scouts Group AGM - contact Group Secretary Sarah Last for details.
Thursday 16 May
- Garden Tour at Monk's House 3.30pm start - normal admission charges apply.
- 1st Rodmell & Northease Cubs meet 6.30pm-8.00pm, in the Village Hall - and the newly formed Scouts Group meet in the Village Hall, 6.30-8pm. See Diary & Events for details.
Saturday 18 May
- Seedling Sale &/or Swap in Rodmell Village Hall, 2.00-4.00pm - all welcome! Just bring along any spare plants/seedlings to swap or sell - or come to get plants you'll need for your garden this summmer. Delicious home-made teas also on sale. See Diary & Events for details.
Sunday 19 May
- Rodmell Cricket Club fixture against Brighton & Hove Crescent CC: 2.30pm start on the Sports Field, all welcome. See Diary & Events for details & full list of this season's fixtures.
Monday 20 May
- Rodmell Camera Club evening walk with professional photographer, Keith Gibson - all welcome. Meet in the pub carpark at 6.00pm. Please contact Carolyn Orchard for details & to book a place, and see Diary & Events for details.
Tuesday 21 May
- Rodmell & Southease WI meeting at 7.30pm in the Village Hall. See Diary & Events for more information.
Wednesday 22 May
- Rodmell Coffee Club 11.00am-12.30pm, in the Village Hall - all welcome! See Diary & Events for details.
Friday 24 May
- Rodmell CofE School end of School Term 5, ready for May school holiday.
Tuesday 28 May
- Book Group meeting 8pm in the pub, see Diary & Events for details. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS MEETING IS ON A TUESDAY THIS TIME!
Saturday 1 June
- Jumble Sale in the Village Hall - see Diary & Events for details.
See Diary & Events for more about all these events, and also for those happening in the months to come.
Do you have a news story?
If so, please contact us and let us know what you would like to see displayed on this page.